e-Mobility and DER Analyst
Summary of the position
The position will be part of the EDF Innovation Lab, with the mission to lead or contribute to various collaborative projects, with a strong focus on the future of mobility and its impact on electricity demand, and on supporting our Distributed Energy Resources (DER) activities.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “e-Mobility and DER Analyst” in the subject.
As many countries are rolling out programs to electrify the transportation sector, EDF has positioned itself to become leader in providing charging infrastructure and low carbon electricity for EVs (electric cars and heavy-duty vehicles) and is willing to explore new business or services opportunities.
The position will address various challenging aspects of electrification of the transportation sector, with the goal to inform our business organizations and our European teams of the evolution and innovation of the North American mobility ecosystem, and to actively explore, design and prototype new services or new business opportunities.
To these ends, the mission includes technology and market analysis, monitoring EV programs of US utilities, EV rate design, assessment of innovative solutions. Data analysis or the development of prototypes for smart EV charging aggregations or other types of service could also be included.
The position will lead the e-mobility projects on behalf of EDF Innovation Lab, work with local partners, participates in efforts to obtain funding, and collaboration opportunities and ensures the liaison with EDF R&D in France and EDF Group for this topic.
Distributed Energy Resources (DER)
Electric vehicle charging infrastructures are DER on a power grid standpoint. They use electricity but they can also store it or send it back to the power grid. Other types of DER include distributed generation, stationary storage or flexible loads. The number of DER are growing and their integration to the grid brings opportunity (for cleaner and more resilient or flexible power system) but also challenges (to secure grid stability and balance).
EDF has developed powerful tools and know-how to manage DER and their integration into the power grid. EDF IL wishes to leverage on these assets in order to contribute to the challenge of the integration of DER in the North America power grids and to strengthen the expertise on this area.
The position will contribute to this ambition by performing market research, connecting with stakeholders, and supporting the investigation of opportunities in this field. The position could also take over projects linked to DER Integration.
Duties and responsibilities
On e-mobility side
- Lead or contribute to projects in the area of e-mobility for commercial, industrial, municipal or other customers with charging stations. Manage this activity on behalf of EDF Innovation Lab.
- Analyze US initiatives, policies, innovations, market drivers, trends and developments in the domain of electric transportation, autonomous vehicles, electric fleet management and electrification-related activities; produces a newsletter for EDF Group on a regular basis, at least 6 times per year.
- Search for cost-shared or government funded partnership with universities (e.g. Stanford, Berkeley, community colleges), C&I customers and local utilities (municipal utilities, CCAs), to create exposure of EDF in the region and elevate EDF’s professional footprint in the US. Some projects are R&D oriented, other could be pilot projects with business-development focus.
- Propose occasional expert support or new projects to US EDF Business Units, e.g. EDF Energy North America and EDF Renewables if there is opportunity. Provide also support or expertise in open innovation startup analysis.
- Organize and host workshops, occasionally VIP visits, to create EDF Group-wide synergies, share feedback, deliver recommendations and propose R&D roadmaps.
- Carry out reporting on activities and communicate synthetic results to EDF.
- Support EDF Innovation Lab with reporting, communication and the development of new activities.
- Support of EDF R&D Mobility projects, in relationship with the relevant project managers. Produce the related deliverables for example specific watches (on AV, Smart charging, social mobility).
On DER Integration side
- Leverage a solid understanding of business and technology trends, issues, and concepts in the power and DER industry to assess the economic and technical feasibility of EDF Innovation Lab’s new expertise regarding the integration of DER in the power grids.
- Contribute to studies and surveys on US Utilities and DER operators in the US and evaluate their operational needs regarding DER Integration tools.
- Provide product and market research and analysis regarding US Utilities and DER operators.
- Use effective questioning and analytical skills to contribute to understand needs, solutions, financing, and all other parts of the detailed value proposition.
- Analyze public, subscription, and consulting services regarding DER Integration in the power grids.
- Research, synthesize, analyze, and present insights on markets and regulatory landscape.
- Identify value streams and quantify value propositions across the power and DER industry value chains.
- Develop decision-support presentation to ensure that innovation decisions are aligned with corporate strategy and mission
Education and experience
- MS in Physics, Energy, Engineering or similar, with 1+ year of work experience in one or several of the following areas: electric mobility, distributed energy resources, flexibility, energy markets, smartgrid, building energy management.
- Experience with data analytics, machine learning and modeling of simple data-driven systems (python preferred).
- Experience with relevant industries, electric utilities, startups
- Experience and skills in business development
- Capable of multi-tasking and learning new areas
- Ability to structure and deliver analyses with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Foreign company experience appreciated
- Experience in successful proposal preparation and marketing activities
- Experience in R&D, innovation and emerging concepts
- Able to travel nationally and internationally, based on client and business needs
- Experience and interest in mentoring and training team members
- Knowledge of French would be a plus
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Employer will not sponsor applicants for work visa.
- May perform other duties assigned
Company and department overview
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables, EDF Trading & Energy Services, CENG, a joint venture with Exelon, Groom Energy (part of Dalkia), EDF R&D, and several smaller business units.
EDF R&D has 1,900 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide research, innovation and related support to the business entities of EDF Group. This is done through the creation of partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries, and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions. EDF Innovation Lab also introduces start-ups and emerging technologies to EDF Group’s business units with the goal to partner and develop joint ventures.
|Job Title||Electrical Engineer|
|Employer||EDF Inc. Innovation Lab|
|Reports To||Thomas Bladier|
|Location||EDF Innovation Lab, Los Altos, CA|
|Position Open||April 2021|
1. Company and department overview
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables, EDF Trading & Energy Services, Dalkia, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units.
EDF’s goal is to maintain its position as the global, efficient, responsible electricity company that champions low-carbon growth. The world of energy is changing, and energy is becoming more decentralized, low-carbon and data-driven. Customers are increasingly engaged in their consumption, energy efficiency, and self-generation. Meters are becoming smarter. The bulk of EDF’s new power comes from the wind, the sun and the sea, and we are seeking ways to utilize nature’s resources as best possible to generate electricity and conduct business in a sustainable and responsible manner.
EDF R&D has 2,000 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done through the creation of partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions. EDF Innovation Lab also introduces start-ups and emerging technologies to EDF Group’s business units with the goal of partnering and develop joint ventures.
EDF Innovation Lab
EDF Innovation Lab’s mission is twofold: first, to explore, analyze and research trends and disruptive technologies for EDF Group in North America, leveraging the innovation of Silicon Valley and building on local partnerships; and second, to develop and test new markets, innovative businesses and services, to support EDF Group’s growth in decentralized, data-driven and low-carbon energy sectors. To this end, we work in partnership with academic, industrial, financial and start-up stakeholders across North and South America.
EDF Innovation Lab is building an expertise about the integration of DER (Distributed Energy Resources) in the power grids. The objectives is to leverage existing tools and algorithms to develop a skillset on DER Integration.
2. Summary of the position
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer to join the EDF Innovation Lab team and help us develop and maintain software related to the “DER Integration in the power grids” topic in a research and development environment. We need you to write electrical algorithms in Python based on existing and ongoing specifications. Developer responsibilities include writing and testing code, debugging programs and writing documentation. To be successful in this role, you should have experience in electrical engineering and programming.
3. Duties and responsibilities
- Develop, improve, industrialize and maintain DER Integration algorithms (voltage ride through, frequency ride through, performance control, VPP, etc.) in Python
- Understand electrical algorithms requirements and have the ability to code them in Python
- Document and build new electrical requirements
- Build and design test procedures and infrastructure
- Participate to the development of new products
- Participate to meetings with customers in order to understand their needs (no more than 10% of the time)
Education, skills, and experience
- Degree in electrical engineering
- 4/5+ years of electrical engineering and Python programming experience.
- Technical knowledge of voltage and frequency constraints caused by DER in the power grids.
- Technical knowledge of DER
- Technical knowledge of automation is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Fast learner, self-motivated, willing to work outside the job description.
- Able to work under minimal supervision
How to apply:
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com with ‘Electric Engineer job offer’ in the subject line.
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Innovation Analyst Intern
Title: Innovation Analyst Intern
Organization: EDF Innovation Lab
Location: 4300 El Camino Real Suit 101, Los Altos, CA (working remote likely and acceptable)
Application closing: April 30, 2021 (or until filled; looking to fill role asap)
Duration: Ideally, part-time during the school year and 2-3 months full time during summer, but flexible depending upon candidate preferences.
- identifying and analyzing start-ups in the energy sector, providing benchmarks on specific topics, and working on trends.
- analyzing the data regarding start-ups received from databases and partners, such as Crunchbase, Tracxn, Greentech Media, VC partners, and others.
- potentially joining meetings with executives from the start-ups to evaluate their technologies and business models.
- assisting the team on managing and updating databases and contacts.
Education and Experience
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and interests in both the technical and business aspects of energy, enabling digital technologies (e.g. AI, IoT, etc.), and potentially with some knowledge of the innovation process
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program, ideally in Engineering or Energy related sciences, business, or other relevant field and experience
- Experience with the following would be a plus: utilities; companies engaged in some part of the electricity industry; research in smart grid technologies; start-ups; innovative management; technology scouting
Competencies and professional skills
- A bright and energetic person motivated to improve the world through energy and digital
- Self-motivated, autonomous, entrepreneurial, with strong analytical and synthetic skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and deliver under deadlines
- Ability to work mostly autonomously to analyze, filter, and compare startups
- Flexible and willing to take on any and all projects to support the team
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company, one of the world’s largest electricity producers, and the largest renewable energy producer in Europe. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates, transports, distributes and sells electricity to 38 million customers worldwide, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. In the US, EDF operates several entities where among EDF Renewable Energy (8 GW of renewable generation capacity), EDF Trading and EDF Energy Services. Globally, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and services. EDF Innovation Lab is the US branch of R&D and seeks to identify, demonstrate, and transfer innovative solutions to the entire EDF Group.
Interested candidates should send a resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Innovation Internship” in the subject.
No positions currently available.
Full-time Position Benefits
Having a positive culture enables our employees to thrive. We are an agile and forward-thinking business and our employees work hard and celebrate every success.
We also have a number of social events during the year which include annual team-building, happy hours and holiday parties.
Competitive Pay and Benefits:
We offer our employees a variety of benefits along with maintaining a competitive pay structure through an annual salary exercise. Such benefits include:
- Cover an average of 90% of health costs for employees and their families; 100% employer coverage on some plans
- Contribute equal to 6% of total compensation to a non-elective 401(k) account with immediate vesting
- Competitive time-off benefits
We aim to be transparent with our business strategy and performance information by giving employees access to the latest news and announcements.
We also provide quarterly Town Halls so that employees can hear business updates directly from executives.
Wellness & Community:
We promote wellness and community involvement by offering benefits such as gym membership reimbursement, community Involvement Time-Off and commuting allowance.