Full Time Positions
Energy Data Analyst
Summary of the Position
The position will be part of the EDF Innovation Lab, with the mission to carry out various projects in the area of Smart Digital Technologies and solutions, to drive the deployment of industrial applications based on data-analytics, artificial intelligence, blockchain applications and web-based services. Guided by the strategic orientations and R&D priorities, the position will contribute to the development of EDF Innovation Lab’s tools, cloud-based solutions and, more broadly manage all main activities built upon large datasets. In addition, the position will contribute to the analysis of new, innovative digital energy services for EDF Group in the US, based on the developed tools and platforms. The investigations should lead to demonstrators, or Proof of Concept projects, possibly co-funded with federal or state grants (e.g. APPA DEED, CEC, DOE, DOD). The position also provides direct support to EDF Group subsidiaries in North America for the development of data analytics applications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze energy applications build on blockchain technology and build use-cases (e.g. REC trading on the blockchain) using the platform developed by the Energy Web Foundation. Represent EDF Innovation Lab in an EDF Group-wide Blockchain Initiative.
- With EDF entities in France and international division, collaboratively develop a web-based platform which can be used to identify zones of interest for the development of off-grid systems, applied to Africa.
- Monitoring of building data to develop services with the objective to improve building energy performance and prediction based on machine learning/AI-techniques. The project includes data collection (open sources, smart meters, audit), data management and development of a prototype tool.
- Evaluate required methods and tools to support the evaluation of opportunities in the data analytics area, provide recommendations for R&D, and develop partnerships with financial government support.
- Organize and host workshops to create EDF Group-wide synergies, share feedback, deliver recommendations and propose roadmaps to support current or suggest new businesses. Provide support for special events and activities associated with EDF and other internal and external stakeholders, in order to promote EDF’s international research and partnerships.
- Organize and host workshops, occasionally VIP visits, to create EDF Group-wide synergies, share feedback, deliver recommendations and propose R&D roadmaps.
- Carry out reporting on activities and communicate synthetic results to EDF.
- Support EDF Innovation Lab with reporting, communication and the development of new activities.
Education and experience
- Degree in Energy, Engineering or similar (MSc or PhD preferred), with experience in one or several of the following areas: energy services, data analytics, energy markets, and innovative digital energy solutions
- Excellent programming skills (in Python or another programming languages)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: data science projects, web-based interfaces, blockchain, machine learning and artificial intelligence, cloud-based data storage and analytics solutions (AWS preferred).
- Experience with relevant digital industries, electric utilities and business development appreciated.
- Capable of multi-tasking, flexible and capable of learning new areas
- Ability to structure and deliver analyses with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills (TOEFL or equivalent test results required)
- Foreign experience appreciated
- Experience in successful proposal preparation and marketing activities
- Experience in R&D, innovation and emerging concepts
- Solid computer skills and attention to detail
- Able to travel nationally and internationally, based on client and business needs
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
with “Energy Data Analyst” in the subject field.
- EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- EDF participates in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
- Employer will not sponsor applicants for work visa.
Microgrid and Local Energy Market Analyst
Title: Microgrid and Local Energy Market Analyst
Organization: EDF Innovation Lab
Application closing: Until position is filled
Supervisor: Arnaud Souillé, Smart Grid Program Manager
Duration: 3 monthsTemporary position – October 2019 to December 2019.
EDF Innovation Lab (EDF IL)’s mission is twofold: first, to explore, analyze and research trends and disruptive technologies for EDF Group in North America, leveraging the innovation of Silicon Valley and building on local partnerships; and second, to develop and test new markets, innovative businesses and services, to support EDF Group’s growth in decentralized, data-driven and low-carbon energy sectors.
One particular focus of the Lab is the new businesses around Distributed Energy Resources (DER). Distributed solar, distributed storage and Electric vehicles’ fast adoption is bringing new perspectives to utilities like EDF. One first trend is the emerging market of microgrids. As a leader in renewable and storage project, EDF is looking at developing microgrid offerings. Innovation and research in microgrid technologies is key to increase value of DER while reducing operating costs. EDF IL has built partnerships with a local microgrid owner and a microgrid technology provider and is willing now to demonstrate some advanced decentralized microgrid capabilities with those partners.
The second trend is the emerging concept of Local Energy Markets (LEM). Communities are increasingly interested in sharing solar, storage and other DER within their territory. New approaches, such as making generation or storage available to a local energy market, as opposed to the wholesale market, are likely to emerge as regulation and pricing allow for local sales. EDF IL is studying how a LEM approach could be proposed in the US and/or in France. To do so, EDF IL is launching a pilot with the Utility SMUD and the start-up Omega Grid to demonstrate the implementation of a LEM in SMUD territory for coordinating electric vehicle charging with local solar generation.
The role of the Microgrid and LEM analyst will be primarily to support the two projects by:
- 1/ Developing specifications for microgrid testing, supervising testing and providing reporting and result analysis
- 2/ Supporting EDF IL’s effort for LEM demonstration including participation to the design and scoping of the pilot, the definition of the functional and technical specifications, interacting with the other project stakeholders.
The analyst will be part of the EDF IL team and will have an easy access to all the Lab resources including people to support her/his work.
Required backgrounds and skills
- Pursuing a degree (PhD or master with relevant research experience) in energy or related field
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the country of employment in 2019
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Able to grasp new concepts quickly and efficiently.
- An ability to efficiently manage time and resources
- Ability to work in a collaborative, multicultural environment is a must.
- A strong interest in innovation and the energy sector is preferred but not required.
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer with 140 GW’s of generation capacity – and 85% of that electricity is carbon free. In the US, EDF operates several entities where among EDF Renewable Energy (8 GW of renewable generation capacity), EDF Trading and EDF Energy Services. Globally, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and services. EDF Innovation Lab is the US branch of R&D and seeks to identify, demonstrate, and transfer innovative solutions to the entire EDF Group.
Full-time Position Benefits
Having a positive culture enables our employees to thrive. We are an agile and forward-thinking business and our employees work hard and celebrate every success.
We also have a number of social events during the year which include annual team-building, happy hours and holiday parties.
Competitive Pay and Benefits:
We offer our employees a variety of benefits along with maintaining a competitive pay structure through an annual salary exercise. Such benefits include:
- Cover an average of 90% of health costs for employees and their families; 100% employer coverage on some plans
- Contribute equal to 6% of total compensation to a non-elective 401(k) account with immediate vesting
- Competitive time-off benefits
We aim to be transparent with our business strategy and performance information by giving employees access to the latest news and announcements.
We also provide quarterly Town Halls so that employees can hear business updates directly from executives.
Wellness & Community:
We promote wellness and community involvement by offering benefits such as gym membership reimbursement, community Involvement Time-Off and commuting allowance.