Digital Innovation Analyst
Company and department overview
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables, EDF Trading & Energy Services, Dalkia, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units.
In the US, EDF Innovation Lab’s role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done through the creation of partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions. EDF Innovation Lab also introduces start-ups and emerging technologies to EDF Group’s business units with the goal of partnering and develop joint ventures.
The EDF Innovation Lab, based in the Bay Area, aims to support EDF Business Units in their Digital transformation and to help them define their strategy. To prepare for the future, we are looking at the new trends and new technologies that will benefit the energy transition.
The Digital Innovation Analyst is responsible for supporting the Digital activities of the Innovation Lab and for delivering analysis to our customers. As a Digital Innovation Analyst, you will lead the research activities within the Innovation Lab and manage the collaboration on various Digital topics. You will advise our internal clients and use your experience to support the creation of compelling industry visions. Your main areas will include Data Science, IoT, Blockchain and Quantum Computing.
In parallel, the Digital Innovation Analyst will be part of the Open Innovation team. The role of the team is to promote collaboration with people and organizations outside the company in order to bring external innovation to the EDF Group. The Digital Innovation Analyst will be responsible for understanding the trends in the Digital landscape. Ultimately, he will scout start-ups with valuable solutions for the Group and evaluate their potential.
We are working with other international centers based in Europe and Asia to leverage our expertise within EDF Group. When you join the EDF Innovation Lab, you will be part of a great adventure that support the energy transition toward a safe and zero carbon system. You can look forward to working for an impactful group and collaborating with the most genuine people of the energy industry.
As a Digital Innovation Analyst, you will report to both the Head of the Innovation Lab, VP of the R&D, and the Innovation Director of the Innovation Lab.
Duties and responsibilities
As a Digital Innovation Analyst, you will have the opportunity to lead the Digital activities of the Innovation Lab, and be part of the Open Innovation analysts; focused on Digital transformation strategies.
You will be part of a robust team that is passionate about energy transition topics.
We seek candidates who can contribute the following areas:
- Digital Innovation trends – analyze trends on IoT and other Digital topics to detect technologies that can improve our businesses or become a game changer.
- Data Science – envision the benefit of the Data Science for our industry and support the other Innovation Lab teams on Data Science strategies for their projects (related to energy markets, Electric mobility, Distributed Energy Resources and Smart Grids).
- Blockchain – contribute to an R&D project and assess the future use cases of blockchain for the energy industries and the associated value chains.
- Quantum Computing – support our quantum computing expert to define strategies for EDF and extend our network, building partnerships.
- Start-up scouting – detect high potential start-up that can bring innovation on Digital transformation in EDF Group.
As Digital Innovation program manager, the candidate will also need to demonstrate leadership on the following areas:
- R&D Program Manager – manage the program activities on Digital. This includes monitoring the budget, defining the scopes of work, ensuring good quality deliverables and being the main point of contact with the other program managers in France.
- New activities development – define the strategy concerning Digital in the Innovation Lab and develop new activities for internal or external clients.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and interests in both the technical and business aspects of energy, enabling digital technologies (e.g. AI, IoT, etc.), and potentially with some knowledge of the innovation process.
You will need to succeed:
- BSc or MSc in Engineering, or Energy related sciences, business, or other relevant field and experience
- Experience with the following would be a plus: utilities; companies engaged in some part of the electricity industry; research in smart grid technologies; start-ups; innovative management; technology scouting
- A bright and energetic person motivated to improve the world through energy and digital
- Validated leadership abilities
- Self-motivated, autonomous, entrepreneurial, with strong analytical and synthetic skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and deliver under deadlines
- Ability to work mostly autonomously to analyze, filter, and compare startups
- Flexible and willing to take on any projects to support the team
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
How to apply:
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume with ‘Digital Innovation Analyst’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
EDF Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are looking to make an impact on the energy transition, the EDF Innovation Lab is the place for you. You will be part of an international group whose main objective is to build a sustainable world with carbon free energy.
Smart Grid Intern
Title: Smart Grid Intern
Organization: EDF Innovation Lab
Location: 4300 El Camino Real Suit 101, Los Altos, CA (working remote likely and acceptable)
Application closing: ASAP
Supervisor: Quentin Morel, Smart Grid Project Manager
Compensation: Paid, compensation commensurate with experience
Specific duties and responsibilities include, among others:
- Contribute to Smart Grid experiments (Microgrid, virtual power plants, storage systems, etc.).
- Perform Smart Grid surveys on different topics (use of storage systems for grid applications, interconnection rules for electric vehicles, SCADA automation, etc.)
- Document and write requirements for Smart Grid experiments.
- Data Analysis and Reporting of Smart Grid experiments.
- Develop, improve, industrialize and maintain “DER Integration in power grids” algorithms in Python.
- Provide product and market research and analysis regarding Smart Grid in the US.
- Work with partners on innovative Smart Grid projects.
- Identify potential partners in order to launch projects in France or to join a concrete project in the US.
This will be an exciting role for someone with strong technical and interests in innovation in the Power Grid and Energy Industry. The intern will be a part of the EDF IL team and will have easy access to all the Lab resources including people to support her/his work. All of these tasks will be related to the work already carried out by the EDF Innovation Lab in previous years.
Education and Experience
- Pursuing a degree in engineering (Undergraduate, Master, PhD) with sufficient experience or knowledge of the power grids and Distributed Energy Ressources Integration
- Technical knowledge of Python
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
Competencies and professional skills
- Ability to structure and deliver analyses/work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (strong English skills required)
- Good interpersonal relationship
EDF (Électricité de France) is a global, integrated energy company and the world’s largest electricity producer. With 140 GW of generation capacity across more than 30 countries, EDF generates over 650 TWh of electricity for 38 million customers, and 85% of that electricity has low or no carbon emissions. With 160,000 employees worldwide, EDF is active in the entire value chain of the electric industry, including R&D, project development, generation, trading, transmission, distribution, sales, and energy services. In the US, EDF’s operations include EDF Renewables North America, EDF Energy North America, EDF R&D, and several smaller business units. EDF R&D has 1,800 researchers and 8 labs, including three in France, EDF Innovation Lab in the US, and others globally. Their role is to provide R&D, innovation, and business development support to the EDF Group. This is done by creating partnerships and collaborations with leading research institutions and industries and the identification and development of innovative technologies and solutions.
EDF Innovation Lab (EDF IL)’s mission is twofold: first, to explore, analyze and research trends and disruptive technologies for EDF Group in North America, leveraging the innovation of Silicon Valley and building local partnerships; and second, to develop and test new markets, innovative businesses and services, to support EDF Group’s growth in decentralized, data-driven and low-carbon energy sectors.
EDF Innovation Lab is building an expertise about the integration of DER (Distributed Energy Resources) in the power grids. The objectives is to leverage existing tools and algorithms and to develop a skillset on DER Integration.
Interested candidates should send a resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Intern, Smart Grid’ in the subject line.
No positions currently available.
Full-time Position Benefits
Having a positive culture enables our employees to thrive. We are an agile and forward-thinking business and our employees work hard and celebrate every success.
We also have a number of social events during the year which include annual team-building, happy hours and holiday parties.
Competitive Pay and Benefits:
We offer our employees a variety of benefits along with maintaining a competitive pay structure through an annual salary exercise. Such benefits include:
- Cover an average of 90% of health costs for employees and their families; 100% employer coverage on some plans
- Contribute equal to 6% of total compensation to a non-elective 401(k) account with immediate vesting
- Competitive time-off benefits
We aim to be transparent with our business strategy and performance information by giving employees access to the latest news and announcements.
We also provide quarterly Town Halls so that employees can hear business updates directly from executives.
Wellness & Community:
We promote wellness and community involvement by offering benefits such as gym membership reimbursement, community Involvement Time-Off and commuting allowance.